An introduction to Chinese New Year culture and greetings
- Thursday 20 January 2022, 12:00 - 13:00
- Open to
- University of Leeds staff and students who don’t celebrate Chinese New Year in their culture
- How to sign up
- Register here
Join the Business Confucius Institute to learn about Chinese New Year! This short online session will give you the basic cultural knowledge and language skills to engage confidently with your Chinese students, colleagues or classmates at this time of year.
Whether you sometimes worry that you might ‘put your foot in it’ due to an unknown cultural faux pas or are simply curious to know more about a festival celebrated by millions of people around the globe – including many members of our University community – we hope this informal session will engage and inspire you.
After the session you will be able to answer questions like:
- When is Chinese New Year (also known as Spring Festival)?
- Which zodiac animal year is it this time?
- What do Chinese people usually do to celebrate?
- How can you wish someone a Happy Chinese New Year in Mandarin?
- What kind of questions and conversation topics may particularly resonate with Chinese friends when they are far from home during this important festival?
Register via this short online form and join us to get in the Spring Festival festive spirit!