Meet the cast and crew: Haley Yiu

Culture

We interviewed the cast and crew to take you behind the scenes of theatre production Behind the Curtained Door.

The play is about three Chinese women whose friendships prove to be stronger than the lies and betrayals they face together. Commissioned by Manchester Confucius Institute, the play premiered in Manchester last year and is coming to Leeds on 14 June as part of its UK tour. Read more about the project in this post.

Haley Yiu plays the role of Ah Luk, a grieving woman who has just lost her husband. Haley studies Drama and Film Studies at the University of Manchester and hopes to become a theatre producer, director, or lighting designer in the future - anything that allows her to explore and expand her creative interests.

Q&A

The characters in the play are British Chinese. How do you describe your nationality?

I was born and raised in Hong Kong, but my mother is Filipino, so I am half Chinese and half Filipino.

What is your role in the production, and what was your motivation for getting involved?

I play the role of Ah Luk. I auditioned for the show because I wanted to increase the amount of Asian representation at the University. Moreover, I wanted to participate in a script that was multilingual, because these types of scripts are rarely seen here. I also believe that they are such a beautiful and insightful way for audiences to experience other cultures and their traditions, and I really wanted to be a part of that.

I wanted to participate in a script that was multilingual, because these types of scripts are rarely seen here. I also believe that they are such a beautiful and insightful way for audiences to experience other cultures and their traditions, and I really wanted to be a part of that.

Please can you tell us a bit more about your character?

Ah Luk is a woman who has just lost her husband and the story explores how she processes this grief whilst also discovering hidden truths about him. She's a fun, feisty character who is very sweet and kind but sometimes a little too impulsive and hot headed. And more often than not, she tends to overshare which is quite funny. Overall, she's a very fun and interesting character whom I hope audiences can relate to.

How did you feel when you first read the script for the play?

I think the main thing that stood out to me the first time I read the play was the authenticity of the piece. I read the play and could genuinely imagine these types of conversations happening in my household with my own family members. It was the dynamic between the different characters throughout the play which explored their playfulness, their love and tenderness, but also the darker aspects of secrets, grief and betrayal which really pulled me into this piece.

Which aspect of the project and tour are you most excited about? 

I'm most excited about the opportunity to play a completely different character from the one I played in the original production. I played Yiling in the original production, so jumping into a big role like Ah Luk is definitely quite daunting, but I’m very excited for the challenge as it’s such a different role from what I’m used to playing.

Can you think of a detail (e.g. part of the set, or a line in the script) that you hope the audience will notice and appreciate? Can you describe why you think this detail is interesting/important?

I really like the side table which is used as a shrine. It’s a small detail to the overall set but I think there’s such a presence around it throughout the show that it becomes a character in itself for Ah Luk to interact with. Furthermore, it adds another layer of authenticity to the show with the incense and photo of Cheung Bak, so I think Chinese audience members would appreciate the effort put into making the experience as authentic as possible.

I think Chinese audience members would appreciate the effort put into making the experience as authentic as possible.

Behind the Curtained Door features a full cast of British Chinese characters, which many people may not have seen before. Can you recommend any other plays, films or media that feature China or Chinese people as main characters? 

I’d like to recommend Mountains: The Dreams of Lily Kwok. It's a gorgeous story based on the life of Lily Kwok who had settled down in Manchester and how different generations of family are connected through food.

I would also highly recommend Worth by New Earth Theatre, which is currently playing at Chester Storyhouse which I'm very excited to go see.

Can you tell us a fun or unusual fact about yourself?

I was named after a character from the 1998 film The Parent Trap!