Meet the cast and crew: Lauren Lees

Culture

We interviewed the cast and crew to take you behind the scenes of theatre production Behind the Curtained Door.

Behind the Curtained Door is a play about three Chinese women whose friendships prove to be stronger than the lies and betrayals they face together. Commissioned by Manchester Confucius Institute, the play premiered in Manchester last year and is coming to Leeds on 14 June as part of its UK tour. Read more about the project in this post.

Director Lauren Lees is currently studying Drama and English Literature at the University of Manchester. In the future, she aspires to work in theatre making, story telling, acting or directing.

Interview Q&A

The characters in the play are British Chinese. How do you describe your nationality?

White British.

What is your role in the production, and what was your motivation for getting involved?

I direct the play. The opportunity came up at Uni through email and I loved the brief of the story so I applied. I had only assistant directed before and had not had the chance to fully dive in on my own yet. It has been a fantastic opportunity, the script is brilliant, it tackles some intense themes whilst still being funny and heartwarming all the same. I love that being there for each other, strong female friendships and the complexity of love are prominent ideas in the piece.

The script is brilliant, it tackles some intense themes whilst still being funny and heartwarming all the same.

Please can you tell us a bit more about your role?

My role involves working with the actors to bring the script to life. I aim to incorporate as much of the actors own interpretations, which are fabulous, whilst viewing things from the audiences perspective and directing them so it’s the best outcome for the piece as a whole.

How did you feel when you first read the script for the play?

I did not expect the twist at all! It took me so by surprise and was such a page-turner. Upon finishing it, I thought it was really heartwarming and special, it’s a hopeful play.

Which aspect of the project and tour are you most excited about? 

The rehearsal process is always my favourite part, I love seeing things come together and working with the actors, but watching it is always so rewarding and lovely, too.

Can you think of a detail (e.g. part of the set, or a line in the script) that you hope the audience will notice and appreciate? Can you describe why you think this detail is interesting/important?

The attention to detail in blocking up the movement with small actions, music and dancing and making sure things don’t get too static when it’s set in just one room. You may think the characters are just getting up to grab a cup of tea or moving something subtly, but actually it's all been very thought out.

You may think the characters are just getting up to grab a cup of tea or moving something subtly, but actually it's all been very thought out.

Behind the Curtained Door features a full cast of British Chinese characters, which many people may not have seen before. Can you recommend any other plays, films or media that feature China or Chinese people as main characters? 

Everything Everywhere All at Once, it’s so beautiful, so important, deserves every award it’s had.

Can you tell us a fun or unusual fact about yourself?

I am brilliant at hula hooping!