The HSK (Hànyǔ Shuǐpíng Kǎoshì – Chinese Proficiency Test) assesses your ability to use Chinese in your daily life, and in academic and professional situations.
The HSK has six levels, ranging from beginner (level 1) to advanced (level 6), which test your reading, listening, and writing. These resources will help you ascertain your level.
We now also offer the HSKK (Hànyǔ Shuǐpíng Kǒuyǔ Kǎoshì – Chinese Speaking Proficiency Test) on selected dates. The test takes place on a computer and is assessed from the recording.
HSK exam dates
Saturday 24 March 2018 (HSK and HSKK)
- Register by 25 February 2018. See ‘How to register for the exam’ tab below.
- HSKK exam also available on this date.
- Results released 24 April 2018
Sunday 10 June 2018 (HSK only)
- Register by 14 May 2018. See ‘How to register for the exam’ tab below.
- Results released 10 July 2018
Saturday 11 November 2018 (HSK only)
- Register by 14 October 2018. See ‘How to register for the exam’ tab below.
- Results released 10 December 2018
HSK exam fees
Level 1 – £10
Level 2 – £20
Level 3 – £30
Level 4 – £40
Level 5 – £50
Level 6 – £60
HSKK Primary – £15
HSKK Intermediate – £25
HSKK Advanced – £35
Pay your exam fee via the University of Leeds online store. If you are taking more than one exam, you will need to register separately for each one.
Making the payment does not complete the registration process. See ‘How to register for the exam’ below.
Please note that the exam fee is non-refundable. Please ensure that you have entered the correct fee for the level you are taking before beginning the booking process.
How to register for the exam
- Go to www.chinesetest.cn and log in as a test taker. If you don’t have an account, click on ‘New User’ to create one.
- Select the exam you would like to register for and complete the steps. Download these instructions if you need any help.
- Once you are registered on the Chinese Test website, you need to pay the exam centre (that’s us) to complete the registration. Pay your exam fee via the University of Leeds online store. You will need to take a note of the exam fee for your chosen level(s) and adjust the online payment manually to the appropriate amount.
Please ensure that you complete the above steps before the registration deadline.
Feel free to contact us if you require any assistance.
Information for registered candidates
Applicants will be issued with an admission ticket and directions to the test centre after we have processed your registration.
The time and place specified on the admission ticket may be subject to change. You will receive confirmation of your exam date and time prior to the exam.
You will need to bring the ticket and personal ID when attending the exam.
Why take the HSK?
Track your progress
It’s very motivating to work your way through the levels as your Chinese improves.
Hanban offers scholarships for non-Chinese students to study in China, and a HSK certificate is required even if you have a Chinese degree. For full details visit the Hanban scholarships website.
Putting your HSK level on your CV is the best way to demonstrate your Chinese ability to potential employers, as it shows your level relative to an international standard.