If you would like to spend some time studying in China then Hanban Scholarships are a fantastic way to fund your studies. There are various types of scholarships available: you can study for a semester, a full academic year, or even do a degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages.
Please see the details below. If you are interested in applying for a scholarship through our Business Confucius Institute, the first step is to complete the form at the bottom of this page.
What scholarships are available?
There are a range of different scholarships that you can apply for.
What is covered?
If your scholarship application is successful you will be exempt from the following:
- Registration fees
- Tuition fees
- Fees for basic learning materials
- Accommodation fees on campus.
You will also receive:
- A one-off resettlement subsidy
- A monthly allowance
- Outpatient medical services
- Comprehensive insurance for foreign students studying in China.
Who is eligible?
You should be a non-Chinese citizen in good health, aged between 16 and 35. Chinese language teachers currently in post should be under 45 years of age. Applicants for undergraduate studies should be 25 or under.
In order to receive a recommendation letter from our Business Confucius Institute, you must be able to demonstrate to us that you are a suitable candidate with links to our BCI. Suitable candidates include:
- Business Confucius Institute students
- EAST students at the University of Leeds
- University of Leeds Chinese Bridge competitors
Please complete this form to provide us with the information we need and we will get back to you to discuss your application and eligibility.
As soon as possible:
- Visit the Confucius Insitute Scholarship website at http://cis.chinese.cn and read the application details and eligibility criteria carefully. At this stage you can also set up an individual account on the site if you wish (you will need to do this before you can submit an application).
- Complete this form to advise the BCI of your intention to apply for a Hanban scholarship. We will need to confirm your eligibility and provide a reference letter and the earlier we are aware of your application the better.
- Check HSK and HSKK exam dates and ensure that you will have taken the necessary exam (and received the results) prior to your application deadline.
Online registration for Hanban scholarships is available from 1 March 2019. After this date you need to:
- Log on to the Confucius Institute Scholarship website to select the programme and host institution that you want to apply for.
- Contact the host institution you are applying to and double check whether they have any additional eligibility criteria. They may ask you to provide additional documents with your application.
- Make sure you have completed this form and received confirmation from the BCI that we can provide a reference letter for you. Please allow at least 5 working days for us to produce your recommendation letter.
- Gather all the documentation required for your application.
Make sure you are aware of the application deadline for your chosen programme. Before this date you must:
- Upload your application materials online through your Confucius Institute Scholarships account.
After your application has been submitted you can track your application via the Confucius Institute Scholarship website.
HSK and HSKK exam dates
Exam dates for 2019 will be confirmed in November. We advise that you take the HSK and HSKK exams in March at the latest, so that you will receive results in time to apply for a scholarship starting in September.
See the HSK exam page for further information about the exams and registration process.
Online registration with Hanban
You can apply via the Confucius Institute Scholarships website from 1 March 2019.
For scholarships starting in September, the application deadline is 20 June. Please note that this is the final deadline for uploading your application documents online. You must allow plenty of time to gather all the required documentation.
Please check the details of your chosen scholarship carefully for application deadlines.
BCI Scholarship Application Form
“Thanks to everyone who attended our talk with photographer Yan Wang Preston last night. We were all captivated by t… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…”
3 days ago